Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bring The Rain

I'm lying (laying? always get confused about the usage of these two words) here in bed against a heating pad because I am so whacked that even though I'm on birth control pills to control my out of control hormones, my insides have found a way to dominate the stickin' synthetic hormones and ravage my lower half with intense cramps and nausea. I must have the strongest hormones known to man or would that be women?

Anyway, that's not the point of my blog, I just had to rant about it and MY blog seemed like the perfect place.

So, I'm outside yesterday enjoying the beautiful sunshine and cloudless blue skies while laying (oh, there's that word again) on the trampoline. I've got my iPod on and it's just shuffling through different worship songs. On comes MercyMe's Bring The Rain, and it made me cry and smile all at the same time.

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray...

Is my life just one big rain cloud right now? Absolutely not. Are there circumstances that I would rather be past and not have to deal with? Absolutely. I personally know people whose lives hold so much more pain than mine and bigger issues than mine. But my life is still mine and I do feel the blows dealt by it even if they don't compare to what others are feeling right now. Is that a selfish perspective? No, just real. Other people's lives give me perspective and I'm thankful that God cares enough to adjust my perspective when I'm too self-focused, but I've been on both sides of the perspective teeter-totter, so I'm capable of both viewpoints.

Back on point... this song was exactly what I needed to hear yesterday. Can circumstances possibly change who I forever am in You? That one stirred me to my soul. And that's when the tears fell. It was like Jesus was right there next to me, looking up at the sky, enjoying the warmth of the sun, and in the midst of it all He asks me, "Can your circumstances possibly change who you forever are in Me?" No, they can't. I can temporarily let them affect my emotions and even challenge my faith, but today's circumstances and tomorrow's problems won't ever change who I am in Jesus.

So with one simple line from a shuffled iPod song, my perspective was changed, even if my circumstances weren't.

Jesus... bring the rain!

2 comments:

  1. Another crazy password. This time I laughed. Ready? FARTY hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cried too. Never much cared for that song, so didn't really listen to it. But reading it. Oh wow, reading it. These two lines spoke to me:

    "Maybe since my life was changed
    Long before these rainy days"

    I walk into storms with God. And walk out of them with Him. *selah*

    Yes, there is no reason to be phased. I can learn. Cling tighter to Him. But there is no reason to take my eyes off of Jesus and put them on the water when He is trying to walk me through a storm.

    (P.S. I totally agree. Our realities are our realities. And they are meant to be fully processed through, regardless of how they compare to those of others. God determines what each person needs to learn the lesson.)

    ReplyDelete