Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lent Day 8: Allowing Hunger

"Yes, he humbled you by letting you go hungry... " Deuteronomy 8:3(a)

There's something in me that just stopped when I read this. I don't know if it was my spirit or soul or heart or mind. Maybe all of the above.

There's something in me that wanted to cry out "NO! That's not right. That's not Who God is." Was it my soul fighting to understand allowed hunger?

There's something in me that resonated, too, because of the words that followed: "He did it to teach you."

There's something in me that is quickly filtering through so many circumstances in my life and wondering if I've chosen to store them, incorrectly, in a file other than 'He Let You Go Hungry Because'?

There's something in me that is stirring; stirring to understand the wisdom and growth and maturity and character that is developed when I'm "allowed to go hungry in order to be taught".

I'm hungry right now for change.
I'm hungry right now for connection that's been lost.
I'm hungry right now to be on the other side of this journey.
I'm hungry to feel again.
To love again.

And then HE catches me in my tracks. Love [again]?
"Be careful how you think.", He whispers. "Desire to love anew, not again."

So, I'm hungry to Love Anew.
But first I must be taught.

1 comment:

  1. This blog had a rhythm to it. A flow that I easily follow. It's interesting how we can digest something easier, so it gets to our heart quicker, just by how the words are placed. Short thoughts. Strung together with perfect clarity. Yes, it all got through to me. :)

    AND now to put it in my reserve for the moment when I will need it most.

    ReplyDelete