Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lent Day 9: Hunger and Suffering

"It's better to suffer for good, if that's what God wants..." The Message
"For it is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good..." NIV
"For it is better to suffer unjustly for doing right, should that be God's will..." Amplified
[1 Peter 3:17]

Compared to Day 8's reading, Day 9 was much more extensive in length; yet the similarity of what caught my spirit between both days is uncanny.

Day 8 pricked my heart with the knowledge that God allows hunger.
Day 9 highlights suffering for good, if that's what God wills.

I don't believe that Holy Spirit is trying to convince me that God is not good by speaking to me about hunger and suffering at the hand of God. On the contrary, I believe He is compelling me to rest in what would be defined by the world as unnecessary ... or, by the church, the work of the enemy.

When suffering or hunger arrives at my doorstep, I've been told too often that it's the work of the devil, trying to kill, steal and destroy, because a good God wouldn't allow suffering or hunger. Really? The Word shows me differently, though. I'm not placing all suffering or hunger in the hands of God, but I can place some of it.

If I'm allowed to go hungry [for a time] so that I AM can humble me by teaching me HIS provision, when all other resources I would seek out have failed, then God is good.

If I'm allowed to suffer [for a time] for HIS glory, for the work HE will accomplish through [it], then God is good.

In hunger and suffering, the Word has shown me God "will let me" and God "can will it". It's a sobering thought. But not a defeating one.

1 comment:

  1. "I believe He is compelling me to rest in what would be defined by the world as unnecessary ... or, by the church, the work of the enemy."

    This was the *gotcha* line for me! The moment I really grabbed on to what you were saying. SUCH meat here, in this blog!! You could definitely write a series on it.

    ReplyDelete