Monday, March 14, 2011

Lent Day 4: If I Can Just Get To Jesus

When they weren't able to get in because of the crowd, they removed part of the roof and lowered the paraplegic on his stretcher. Impressed by their bold belief (faith), Jesus said, "Son, your sins are forgiven." ... He got up, took his mat and walked away. Mark 2:4-5, 12

To read that Jesus can be impressed by someone's faith is staggering to me. I can't imagine that I've ever impressed him with mine, yet I can't help but wonder if I ever have.

But, it was often with this kind of faith (the kind that impressed Jesus), that individuals were healed on the spot; whether through the touching of the hem of his garment, asking Jesus just to say the word and it would be done, or finding a way to Jesus by digging out a whole in a roof, the faith to know that "if they could just get to Jesus, it would be done" was all that was needed.

My self-reliance is making me question if I've ever really understood the difference between "praying and asking" and the desperation of believing "If I could just get to Jesus"?

1 comment:

  1. I want to hear the fullness of what you are learning tomorrow, in person. This blog feels like the forethought to the lesson, almost. And I want to hear the whole journey! Woohoo! God stories!!

    ReplyDelete