Monday, November 2, 2009

HIS Words [6]

The Story of the Persistent Widow
Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. He said, "There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. A widow in that city kept after him: 'My rights are being violated. Protect me!'

"He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on he said to himself, 'I care nothing what God thinks, even less what people think. But because this widow won't quit badgering me, I'd better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise I'm going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding.'"

Then the Master said, "Do you hear what that judge, corrupt as he is, is saying? So what makes you think God won't step in and work justice for his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won't he stick up for them? I assure you, he will. He will not drag his feet. But how much of that kind of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when he returns?"

Before I opened by Bible today, I asked God, "What do You want to speak to me about today?" I opened my Amplified Translation and was struck with the desire to read from the New Living Translation. I went to my bookshelf and found two: a hardcover and a paperback version. I grabbed the hardcover and then put it back because Alec told me it's the one the kids use to read. I then picked up the paperback version and when I got back to my room and opened it, inside were my notes I had written down from the prophetic time during the 2008 Day Retreat at Coli and J's. At the bottom was this note: Luke 18:1-8, "My Scriptural Mission".

During this past week, God has put people before me that need prayer...my persistent prayer. This is His way of reminding me [a spiritual bull dog] of the purpose He's put on my life for prayer.

"God, reignite the passion for prayer that I seem to walk out only in seasons. You have laid purpose on my heart for prayer, yet it's the one thing - besides abiding in Your Word - that I seem to have the most difficulty staying committed to. I come against the enemy who daily attempts to put things in my path to keep me out of prayer, to steal the power I have through Jesus to affect change through prayer. I ask forgiveness for my lack of persistent faithfulness and recommit myself to this purpose.

1 comment:

  1. The very fact that you have a prayer closet inspires me! And seeing you want to devote more and more time, out of a heart for those you love who are in need, is more inspiring!

    ReplyDelete