Monday, November 2, 2009

HIS Words [5]

"External religious worship [religion as it is expressed in outward acts] that is pure and unblemished in the sight of God the Father is this: to visit and help and care for the orphans and widows in their affliction and need, and to keep oneself unspotted and uncontaminated from the world." James 1:27

This morning, as I sat down with my Bible, I got a call from Anthony regarding a text message he received asking if "we" could pick up both girls at school tomorrow, instead of our normal time at her house. Immediately, I was struck with the thought of "we means me" because I don't work.

Just as quickly, the above verse came to mind.

I am so thankful that God's Word came quickly to dispel that battle of my flesh. Who the orphan or widow is - or, in this case, the one in need - does not matter. What matters is my response.

The world tells me that "I don't have to"," it's not my responsibility".

And then God speaks, "Help those in need and keep yourself uncontaminated from the world."

1 comment:

  1. I just love, love, love this verse. Always have. It's part of God's heart I see regularly. But it was REALLY neat to read your personal application for the day! And really neat to realize that you aren't just blogging scritpure. You're living it because He's keeping it fresh in you.

    ReplyDelete